- August 2, 2022
- Posted by: David Spencer
- Category: Taiwan
Barndoor Strategy’s Managing Director, David Spencer, is also the CEO of the Taiwan Policy Centre, a new not-for-profit research and advocacy group campaigning for the UK Government to deepen relations with Taiwan.
Given recent events, the Taiwan Policy Centre has written open letters to both Rt. Hon Liz Truss MP and Rt. Hon Rishi Sunak MP, the two Conservative Party leadership contenders vying to be the next Prime Minister.
The letters pose a series of eight questions asking them to clarify their position on the key policy areas related to Taiwan.
Specifically, the letters ask:
- What steps will your government take to reduce the risk of a PRC invasion of Taiwan?
- How will your government help Taiwan to acquire the military equipment and expertise it needs to defend itself against the threat of invasion?
- If the PRC were to invade Taiwan while you were Prime Minister, what would your government’s response be?
- What will your government’s position be on the ‘One China’ policy?
- What steps will your government take to assist Taiwan’s participation in international bodies where its 23 million people are currently unrepresented?
- Will your government support Taiwan’s application to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) should the UK’s own application be successful?
- Will Ministerial visits to and from Taiwan be permitted under your government?
- Do you agree that the Taiwanese people have the right to self-determination under the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights, and that they alone should decide what the future of Taiwan and their relationship with the PRC should be?
David has also published an article outlining the reason the letters have been sent and why it is so important that the UK Government lives up to its promises about protecting freedom and democracy when it comes to Taiwan.
You can read his ConHome article here – https://conservativehome.com/2022/08/02/david-spencer-eight-questions-for-the-leadership-contenders-on-the-future-of-taiwan/
You can also read the letters to Rt. Hon Liz Truss MP and Rt. Hon Rishi Sunak MP on the Taiwan Policy Centre website at www.taiwanpolicycentre.com